Tuesday, August 03, 2004

A brief word on friendship

After my initial post, I received a thought-provoking note from a friend on the subject of friendship. He's quoting one of my favorite television characters, Thomas Magnum, from the classic 1980s CBS-TV series, "Magnum, p.i." :

"The only thing you have to prove your worth [once you're gone]," Magnum said, " is the friends you leave behind."

How true that statement is.

I consider myself to be quite rich indeed, certainly not based on any monetary measure, but because of the wonderful friends who brighten my life.

I've been thinking this week as some of my dearest friends are what seems like a world away how much they really mean to me.

I only hope that I've been half as good a friend to all of my friends as they have been to me.

Perhaps the greatest crime one can commit is taking a friend, or anyone near and dear to the heart, for granted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake Mabe a true legend, a dear friend, one that can talk about all the political figures past and present. And one that will agree that Wrestling is real, Elvis isn't dead, and No One ever walked on the moon.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake Mabe a true legend, a dear friend, one that can talk about all the political figures past and present. And one that will agree that Wrestling is real, Elvis isn't dead, and No One ever walked on the moon.

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home