Monday, June 20, 2005

They've only just begun (but I feel too darn old)

What do you say when your baby sister gets married?

I guess you say "Congrats." "Best of luck." "Wish you the best." And then --- "God, I feel old."

Watching my little sister walk down the aisle last Saturday night brought back a flood of memories. Of weekday afternoons watching cartoons and "The Dukes of Hazzard" after elementary school. Of fighting like cats and dogs over (sometimes literally) spilled milk. Of watching her mature into a beautiful young woman with her own life and career.

Her hubby is a pretty good fella. Course, he would just about have to have been for us to allow him into the clan. We're a little like the FBI in that regard. (Although with the recent news about Mark Felt, maybe that's a bad example.)

I knew I was going to like my future brother-in-law when I heard he bought my sister "Deliverance" on DVD for Christmas! Heck, yeah! Welcome to the family, pal!

I try not to get emotional much these days. Keep it in. Be solid. Act like a man. What 'Would John Wayne Do?' kind of stuff.

But watching Dad bring her down to meet her husband-to-be, it was hard not to get a little teary eyed.

After the reception, left to my own thoughts, it was difficult not to think about the passing years. I'm not even 30 yet, but still feel like time has slipped by like houses on the side of the road.

"And the white lines getting longer and the saddle's getting cold," or so the tune goes. "And I'm much too young to feel this damn old."

Where's my worn out tape of Chris Ledoux?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home