Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lost in the music

Well, I guess I should post something about Halloween. But, my heart isn't in it, so let me just say that today I'm dressed like coach Paul "Bear" Bryant and move on.

You should have been up at Greg Householder's house last Sunday night. The Shopper held a big bonfire. What a time it was.

I was dressed in my overalls and green John Deere cap. I gulped down the barbecue because what I really wanted to get to was the music.

Emily brought her guitar. Some intern kid pulled out a harmonica. Emily's friend Carol joined in on the harmony. And off we went.

Country roads, take me home...

There's something downright therapeutic about music. It can lift the spirits on a cold and rainy night. Or make you forget all about being sick. Or just brighten an otherwise humdrum day.

Sunday night we sang a little bit of everything. Mostly old country songs and folk tunes -- my favorites. We did sprinkle some ol' rock and roll tunes in the mix and Emily sang an original number, based on a short story by James Agee. It was so pretty it brought tears.

At one point Emily and the dude with the harmonica started playing the blues. I tried to remember the words to "Reconsider Baby" and mixed them with "Santa Claus is Back in Town." Later I flubbed a line from "Leavin' On a Jet Plane" that drew a big laugh.

We finished with "Why Me Lord," the old Kris Kristofferson song, and I drove away hating that the whole thing had to end.

So I went home and listened to records awhile, happy as a clam, lost in the music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home