Sunday, December 30, 2007

The weekend goeth


So it's Sunday night and the weekend is closing down with ease.

The Colts and Titans are tied, the Crimson Tide seems to be having its way with Colorado and I've got Nat "King" Cole on the rad-io, a Christmas present I'm just now enjoying on the hi-fi.

It's one of his original Capitol albums from the fifties, "Songs for Two in Love" or something like that. I'm too lazy to go look. Nat is smooth as silk. You know what I mean.

The liner notes say that Collector's Choice is going to be releasing all of King's Capitol albums, some appearing on compact disc for the first time in the United States. These are classics, essential additions to any collection that claims to know something about American popular music.

The arrangements fit snugly in Nelson Riddle's more than capable hands. Nat had no equal on vocals. He's better than Sinatra, really. But don't tell anybody I said that.

Here he is singing Johnny Mercer better than anyone before or since.

The falling leaves pass by my window...

God, why doesn't anybody sing like this anymore?

I was lazy on this rainy Sunday. Spent the afternoon watching football with a pal in Maryville. It was nice and easy, a good Sunday for a nap.

Now, I guess it's time to start the week, although we'll get one last holiday respite before having to wrestle with 2008 with any kind of seriousness.

Geez. I'll be 30 this year. Where on earth does the time go?

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home