Thursday, April 24, 2008

How to ruin a perfect night

Oh, I thought it was going to be perfect.

Sky was so blue you could swim it. The sun was starting to set. The regular crowd was shuffling in.

And me? Well, I had my scorebook in my hand, chatted with the usher behind Section C, waved to my aunt across the way and got comfy just before I had to stand back up for the national anthem.

The first pitch happened about 7:08 and it was all downhill from there. When I gave up and started walking toward the car about 8:30, ETSU was up on Tennessee 10-1.

The Bucs ended up winning 11-9.

The great thing about baseball is its leisurely pace. I was able to chat with the fan from Fountain City who sits in front of me, walk over to talk with my aunt and her husband, blab about Vin Scully's broadcasting excellence and watch the girls sitting a section over -- all without missing one pitch.

Too bad the Vols had to ruin a perfect night. But, that's how it goes in this grand old game.

Pitches left too high in the strike zone will break your heart every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home