Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday in the Smokies

TOWNSEND, Tenn. -- For my money, the prettiest drive in East Tennessee is Hwy. 321 from Maryville to what's dubbed "The Peaceful Side of the Smokies."

And, I must admit, the short jaunt from Halls was quite relaxing this afternoon. The heaviest traffic happened in downtown Maryville, and that was over in what seemed like seconds.

I'm here to attend a school board retreat (isn't the life of a community newspaper editor exciting?!) but am also using the trip as a brief getaway. I may go exploring a little later. Or I may stay in the hotel, order a pizza and watch baseball.

It's my Saturday. I can do as I wish.

May watch the Volunteers awhile in a few minutes, but my heart's not in it. I also may get caught up on my reading. I've got a couple of books on Lincoln with me, as well as a few magazines and that Roger Angell book I told you about.

It's autumn here in East Tennessee. From my window at the hotel, I can see the gold and red and yellow hues of the changing leaves. It's a sight of which I never tire, even if it always proves to be the twilight just before the long night of winter.

Here's hoping you're having just such a relaxing Saturday. I think I'm going to need mine.

Listening to the school board at 8:30 a.m. is going to be a wake-up call indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home