Saturday, April 11, 2009

A dead ringer

Golly, what a voice.

My pal and longtime Elvis tribute guitarist (and Halls guy) Ross Southerland dropped by the other night. We got caught up on life and he needed to pick up some stuff I had borrowed to write an article. He also needed to borrow some Elvis CDs to learn some music for an upcoming show.

Conversation led to a friend who had sang at Memories Theatre with him awhile in Pigeon Forge. Her name is Emily Portman and she sings Loretta Lynn as well as, well, Loretta Lynn.

I'm not talking "sounds pretty close." I'm not talking, "Yeah, kinda reminds me of her." I'm talking spittin' image, a dead ringer.

She does some solo tunes as well as sings with a Conway Twitty impersonator.

"Love is where you find it, when you find no love at home; and there's nothing COLLLD as ashes, after the fire is gone..."

Incredible. Strong, pure voice. Phenomenal talent.

She's from up in Kentucky somewhere (Loretta's home state). Talks like her, has the mannerisms down pat -- just awesome. If she can act, she could easily play Loretta in an update of "Coal Miner's Daughter," one of my favorite movies.

Anyway, I just had to share this. If you love country music -- the real stuff, not the junk they sing today -- check out Emily Portman. (www.emilyportmanusa.com or on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MO7_ESQTxE

Golly, what a voice.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home