Monday, September 21, 2009

Old friends

Time it was, and what a time it was... Paul Simon, "Old Friends"

Guess there's just something special about old friends.

Hung out with a bunch of them this past weekend. And, you know, even beyond a big trip to Birmingham, reunions and singing sessions, it's the people -- the friends -- that make it memorable.

Decided to take a last trip of summer (squeezed it in before the autumn equinox) to Alabama to hear my favorite singer. So glad I did.

Robin was playing at a quaint little coffeehouse, laid-back, easygoing, appreciative audience. I got there early, ate Mexican at a cantina around the corner, and lost myself in the music for a couple of hours.

Before the show, I sat outside, enjoying what had become a nice night, happy I made the trip.

Sunday meant a drive home and a stop at Maggie Meyers' house for another Spanish III reunion. I guess we all must have been a close group because getting together is always a special time. We laugh and carry on, moving back and forth among the memories.

After lunch, it was on to Fountain City, to practice with Emily and Larry Van for the upcoming "comeback" show. Going over "Broken Lady" and Peter, Paul and Mary and classic country reminded me how vocally out of shape I am. But, I can't wait for our October gig. Singing soothes the soul.

But, as I say, the best part of an even better weekend is hanging out with old friends. They are one of life's most cherished treasures, worth more than all the gold in California.

Time it was, and what a time it was...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home