Thursday, April 21, 2011

For whom the bell tolls

The guy behind the counter at the Fountain City Branch Library recognized me when I handed him a book ("In the Lake of the Woods" by Tim O'Brien) to check out.

"Are they keepin' you busy?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah, but that sure beats the alternative," I said.

"Any day spent above ground is a good day," he replied.

His words continued to bounce around in my brain as I stepped outside to a heartbreaking, beautiful spring morning. I could smell the budding flowers. I could see the blooming Dogwoods.

A church bell began to toll. And, as it chimed, I remembered some lines from the pen of John Donne, a poetic companion to the words from the clerk at the library.

Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls.
It tolls for thee.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger David Hunter said...

Good one, Jake.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Jake Mabe said...

Thanks, David!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home