Sunday, October 13, 2013

'I'm a peaceable man'

Super Saturday.

Fantastic football. Better baseball. Scrumptious homemade spaghetti. My wife's is wonderful.

Well, as usual, I couldn't sleep last night. So, I flipped on the TV and dialed the DVR to an old favorite, "Riders of the Silver Screen."

Sure enough, Marshal Andy Smalls and Deadwood Don Calhoun didn't disappoint.

Yesterday's show (and next week's!) celebrates Wild Bill Elliott, whose birth date is Wednesday. The first installment was dedicated to the Wild Bill Hickok portion of Elliott's career and even included an appearance by Bill Elliott biographer John W. Leonard. Have you read his book?


Duke Wayne is my favorite rider of the silver screen. Roy Rogers is my sentimental choice for No. 1 B-movie cowboy.

But Bill Elliott is my favorite so-called "B." He's cool, he wears his guns backwards (neat reason why), and he was the best Red Ryder by far.

If you like this sort of thing and live in East Tennessee, don't miss "Riders of the Silver Screen" at 10:30 a.m. (EDT) Saturday, Oct. 19, on East Tennessee PBS (Channels 2 or 15 locally) for part two of the Bill Elliott birthday bash.

And don't forget: "I'm a peaceable man."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home