Sunday, July 31, 2016

Another town along the road

There's a quote attributed to Teresa of Avila that is downright profound.

"More tears have been shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones."

Think about it. 

Somebody said time is the great equalizer, the great healer. I do know it gives you perspective.

Have you ever wanted something so badly you could taste it? Couldn't live without it. And if it didn't work out, you were fairly certain the sun wouldn't rise in the eastern sky the following morning?

Well, now.

I look back on things that didn't turn out the way I wanted and can now honestly say, "Thank God." But, having said all this, I've come to believe that it's a detour, a speed bump, an unexpected delay.

My friend Stephanie posted something on Facebook earlier that I like very much:

"Never get caught up in the final destination because it's the road that leads us there that shapes us, teaches us, breaks our hearts, and gives us great joy. It is too often that we reach that destination without enjoying the trip and think, "Now what?"

Fretting about the uncertainties of tomorrow does nothing but make you miss the beauty of today's sunset.

Disappointments are never easy. Sometimes they arrive at the worst possible moment. But it's how you handle them that count. You might've dodged a bullet. And they make the good times taste so much sweeter.

I feel like I'm not effectively communicating what I want to say, so I'll do what I often do and borrow a song lyric.

"And when you stop to let 'em know you've got it down, it's just another town along the road."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home