Thursday, January 06, 2005

Feeling anachronistic as 2005 dawns

Well, I guess it's time to get this blog fired back up. It's been way too long.

Here's hoping 2005 becomes the best year for all of us. The previous one, as usual, was full of ups and downs, but it's always nice to turn the page, to wipe the slate clean.

Sitting here on a rainy Thursday morning listening to Don Williams sing that love is on a roll (thank you, John Prine), it's difficult, however, not to give in to those nostalgic feelings that tend to make me feel anachronistic.

I came into the office this morning having heard Kenny Rogers' late 60's ditty, "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" on the country music station out of Maryville. Our receptionist, who, it must be said, knows a lot of music because of her interest in singing and such and her dad's background in music, had never heard it.

Sigh.

I came back to the office and put in a Don Williams CD, listening to his smooth, pure country sound. It makes me wonder where all the good singers have gone. Now, country music anyway is all about swinging from ropes and sounding as much like pop music as one possibly can. To hell with that.

Sometimes I think about Jimmy Buffett's classic soul searcher, "A Pirate Looks At 40," and relate to its theme of being born out of one's time. All of my favorite TV programs were canceled years ago. Most of my favorite singers are either dead or are retired. My favorite movies tend more often than not to be in black and white.

But somehow, I take comfort in all that. For after all, the worst thing a person can set out to be is just like everyone else.

Here's to anyone who feels like you somehow don't quite belong. It's a heck of a place to be.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You Jake I have been so worried about you. We can all now know where o where jake is today

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home