Thursday, July 19, 2007

Perspective

Got a phone call last night you never want to receive past 11 p.m.

One of my cousin Jordan's buddies --- all of 20 years old --- was killed in a motorcycle accident last night. My sister relayed the news. She was headed over to my aunt's house to help counsel the boys.

It made me think about Josh Ellis.

I'll never forget the sound of my mom crying in the early morning of June 2, 1995. I felt certain my grandfather had passed away --- until I heard him coughing.

In a few minutes, they knocked at my door. Good ol' Josh --- cousin, buddy --- was dead at 16. Car accident.

Most of the innocence of childhood faded away in the coming days. Hugging Josh's mom later that day --- consoling devastated friends --- the realization finally hit home that, no, we weren't invincible after all.

I don't understand why kids get taken away. But, then again, I don't understand a lot of the pain and suffering that goes on in this ol' world, or the slights, or smartass comments, or just take your pick of what to name here.

But I tell you one thing. Hearing about this tragedy puts credit card fraud, and the Tennessee Waltz, and nepotism in the courthouse clearly into perspective.

As bad as all that stuff is, on this hot and muggy mid-summer Thursday, thinking about the fleeting flicker of flame that is life, it's hard to give a damn about it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger JMYNATT said...

I am writting about an article you wrote for the West Side Shopper regarding Earl Hoffmeister's book. Earl is one of the best men I have been blessed to know in my life. His compassion for his former students go way above and beyond the call of duty. He truly cared about us. I am a previous student of "Hoff's", he helped me get through a personal teenage crisis that I don't know where I would be today if it weren't for him. However, your article about his book talked about everything but his book. What did Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson or John Kennedy have to do with the I am sure wonderful book "Hoff" wrote. I do thank you for making alot of readers aware of his book as I intend to purchase it as soon as I can locate a copy. Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope you have either already read his book or plan to as he is a fantastic person and a blessing to so many people's lives.
Regards,

Jackie Russell Mynatt
A big fan of Earl Hoffmeister

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home