Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bionic redux


Well, this has been a week for pleasant surprises.

Last night I TiVOed NBC's brand spanking new version of "The Bionic Woman." And, I gotta tell ya, I wasn't expecting much.

The original "Bionic Woman" (and more importantly its predecessor "The Six Million Dollar Man") are two of my all-time favorite network shows. It is a true travesty that both those fine programs have yet to make it to DVD in the United States.

But, out of curiosity, I figured I'd give the new show a chance. I'm glad I did.

2007's version of Jaime Sommers (Michelle Ryan) is a spunky, attractive bartender, and something of a dropout. Jaime is taking care of her wayward younger sister Becca (Lucy Hale). She's also learned she's pregnant by her boyfriend, professor Will Anthros (Chris Bowers).

But as they drive back from dinner, Jaime and Will are victims of a terrible car accident, one that, we later learn, isn't what it seems. In order to save Jaime's life, Will takes her to a secret research facility where, yep, bionic technology -- invented by Will's father -- is used to replace her damaged organs.

Thus the adventure begins...

The new "Bionic Woman" lacks the campy charm of the '70s bionic shows. (I kept waiting to hear that famous springing noise when Jaime's bionics kick to high gear -- and was disappointed).

But the show has been successfully modernized and is quite engaging. The 43 minutes flashed by nearly as fast as the newly bionic Jaime can run.


So, it will never fill the special place in my heart that belongs to Lindsay Wagner's and Lee Majors's bionic adventures, but the new "Bionic Woman" is pretty darn good. I hope the adventure is allowed to play out. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

I also hope that a successful redux "Bionic Woman" will get the original shows out on DVD. Come on, guys. This is a no-brainer.

"The Bionic Woman" airs Wednesday nights at 9 p.m. (Eastern) on NBC. Full episodes can be viewed at NBC.com

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home