Friday, September 14, 2007

The poem

Some good news and not so good news tonight.

Good news is I don't have kidney stones after all. Bad news is, it's diverticulitis. That's an old person's disease (go figure) involving the colon. I'll spare you the details, but basically I have to watch my diet and take it easy. Doc says after a week or so of antibiotics, I should be OK. Worst case is a scary scenario, but it's unlikely to happen if I take care of myself.

Been thinking about a lot of things tonight. I guess I'll keep most of them to myself. It's a little too personal even for me, the ubiquitous open book, to share.

So instead I'll share with you a poem a friend sent me. This is one of the best things I've read in a long time and, despite the sexist language, comes as close to capturing some of my personal ideals and philosophy as anything could.

Have a safe and wonderful Friday night. I love you all.

CAN YOU HONESTLY JUDGE?

Pray don't find fault with the man who limps or stumbles along the road,
Unless you have worn the shoes he wears
or struggled beneath his load.

There may be tacks in his shoes that hurt,
though hidden from view;
Or the burden he bears placed on your back
might cause you to stumble too.

Don't sneer at the man who's down today,
unless you have felt the blow
That caused his fall, or felt the shame that
only the fallen know.

You may be strong, but still the blows that
were his, if dealt to you
In the self-same way at the very same time
might cause you to stagger too.

Don't be too harsh with the man who sins
or pelt him with words or stones,
Unless you are sure, yes, doubly sure that
you have no sins of your own.

--- Anonymous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home