Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Someday soon

First the spring, then the fall. I tell ya, this would be funny if it didn't hurt so damn bad.

Went to the hospital this morning for an ultrasound. Felt real optimistic.

Had something of a bad night last night. I didn't fall asleep until up near 5 a.m. Hurt too bad.

But by mid-morning I felt well enough to make lunch plans, and even thought for a few fleeting moments I might have passed the kidney stone. Note the singular use of the word.

The procedure didn't take long. Afterwards, I was treated to a fine lunch of fried shrimp at Chesapeake's downtown courtesy of the Giant Rat. It was a rare delight.

Went back to work determined to ignore the soreness and just get on with it. Then came the phone call.

Multiple kidney stones. Both kidneys. At least two stones too big to pass --- in each kidney. More surgery likely. Oh, and have a nice day.

So. There it is. No blockage, though. I'm in no immediate danger of losing my kidneys.

But the pain and the drugs and the malaise will continue until they're gone. I'm trying to be thankful it isn't a tumor.

I'm going to take a few days off from the blog. I need to concentrate on my day job as much as I can.

As is often the case during these illnesses, the blog becomes my catharsis, the one place I can compose my $1.98 stream-of-consciousness Faulknerian ripoff prose. So I'll most likely pop in from time to time.

Until then, be safe, life live, be true to yourself --- and turn that music way up loud!

I shall return someday soon.

This time we almost made the pieces fit, didn't we, girl?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, my heart really goes out to you. Kidney stone pain is the worse. I wish your doctor would go ahead and do something for you rather than have you suffering so much. Prayers that you will soon be rid of them.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home