Friday, October 05, 2007

The best show on TV


For once, a TV drama actually, oh, takes the time to reflect modern American life.

I know that sounds simple enough. But, come on, did "Green Acres" ever really depict actual farm living? Didn't think so.

I speak, of course, of "Friday Night Lights," which is simply the best show on television. I know I've written about this before, but here's a shout out to set your TiVO or be in front of the tube at 9 p.m. (EDT) tonight for the second season premiere. You'll be glad you did.

I gave up on "Lights" early on last season. Didn't want to commit to a weekly series. But a screening of the first season DVDs showed me what I've been missing.

Everybody thinks this show is about football. Not so. It's about growing up in a small town -- and the best and worst aspects of what that means. It's about character; we see these people -- and, yes, they feel like actual living, breathing people -- change, grow, screw up and learn something about themselves.

It's honest, it's fun and it's just so darn addictive. If you watch only one network program this fall, let it be "Friday Night Lights." Saved from the cancellation axe due to under performing ratings, NBC listened to the critics -- or just realized what a gem they have here -- and brought the show back for another year. I can't tell you how badly I hope this program makes it.

OK, that's enough for now. Gotta get back to editing news copy.

Watch this show. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

"Friday Night Lights" airs Fridays at 9 p.m. (EDT) on NBC. Full episodes can be seen at NBC.com.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home