Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Born too late

Sorry I haven't written in a few days. Haven't felt too good.

But let me tell you about last night. Ended up traveling back to the 40s in a time machine. And I'm blaming it on my cold.

Here's what happened.

Woke up Sunday morning feeling awful. I guess the cold I came down with last week showed back up or something. Anyway, didn't feel like getting out, or going to Drew's for the Pats/Colts game or much of anything else.

Monday morning I didn't have to be at work until noon. So, I curled up in the recliner for a few minutes and noticed that Turner Classic Movies (which can be an addictive drug) was showing the film versions of the old Whistler radio series.

The films are pure Saturday morning, black-and-white B movie fluff -- they were great! All but one of them starred Richard Dix, each time as a different character. There's always a twist at the end, and it's a lot of fun. The one where he played a private investigator was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I set the DVR to record the other two Whistler films and went on my merry way. Watched them both last night. In one, Dix played an artist who thinks he's killed his first wife. Then Wife No. 2 finds out! It was OK. I liked the private eye one better.

The second one didn't star Dix, but was pretty good. Guy and his fiancee show up at a justice of the peace to marry late one rainy night, but he isn't home. His car breaks down, so they have to find a hotel. The woman stays in the room while the man goes to fix the car. When he comes back, she isn't there...

I listened to one of the old Whistler radio shows after screening the flicks. Kind of silly, though. Ended up turning it off and listening to some Sinatra before bed while I nursed the cold.

Once I laughed when I heard you saying, That I'd be playing solitaire, Uneasy in my easy chair, It never entered my mind...

I came of age in the wrong era.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home