Monday, March 31, 2008

Recalled to life

Don’t ask me why, but I always think of Jarvis Lorry whenever baseball season rolls around.

Lorry, you may recall, is the banker with the message "Recalled to Life" in the opening pages of Dickens’ "A Tale of Two Cities." A strange juxtaposition, I know. But when spring arrives, and with it comes our national game, this big kid of a fan can’t help but feel rejuvenated, awakened along with all of nature, after the winter slumber.

The Atlanta Braves didn’t do me any any favors last night, losing to the Washington Nationals 3-2. But that’s OK. The Nats have a brand new ballpark and I guess they deserved to win in their new palace on the banks of the Anacosta.

A gentle rain is falling in Halls today. But in my heart it’s as blue as the eyes of the first woman I ever loved; the grass is green and soft and lovely.

After awhile, I’ll head toward the TV and root on the Tigers as they open the year against the Royals. Pal Mike Herman has graciously agreed to come celebrate opening day with me. As my friend Lauren just e-mailed, this is like Christmas, New Year’s and my birthday all rolled into one.

I don’t know why I love this silly game so much. Part of it surely goes back to childhood, the one connection to that shy little boy that I still carry with me. Part of it is that it makes me feel connected to our nation’s past.

And most of it, surely, is that baseball is so much fun.

Today is a day for eternal optimism, youthful bliss, dreaming crazy dreams and eating peanuts and Cracker Jack in the shadows of a spring afternoon. Here’s to being a kid again for a few fleeting seconds.

Happy Opening Day!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home