Thursday, July 03, 2008

Finishing touches

ASHEVILLE, N.C. -- Mayfel's advertises blue plate specials and burgers on its window.

Ducked in after the Tourists' game tonight (Asheville hangs on to beat the Rome Braves 4-3). I'm getting a little light headed because lunch seems a long time ago.

I'm also miffed because the joint doesn't allow separate checks without a $1 fee, but I order a Dixie Lager from New Orleans and watch people go by while waiting on my burger.

Listen closely and you can hear snippets of conversation.

Some samples:

"Look at your leg," one guy says to another. "You've got the bite to prove it. I'd kill that dog."

Just after 10, two guys walk up with two girls from out of town. But serving hours are over.

"They're closed," one says. "Nothing stays open late here through the week."

"Man, they're going to think this town sucks."

But it doesn't, and it's the seductive power of this place that leads you back downtown, even after a ballgame.

The server is named Elizabeth. She's got pretty eyes and a great smile. I forgive her for not taking separate checks.

A little later I order a PBR, toast a dear soul with it, and put the finishing touches on one of the most relaxing vacations I've taken in years.

Thanks, Asheville. You've made another fan.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home