Monday, August 25, 2008

The best show you haven't watched

For my money, the best show you're not watching is "Mad Men" on AMC.

Oh, don't feel bad. I didn't catch it during its first season -- in fact had never heard of it until the reruns aired earlier this year. But, I bought the Season 1 DVDs a month ago, caught caught up and have become hooked.

Season 2 has been a mixed bag. My friend John Hitt says he's not been able to get into the show this year. I haven't had that problem. Last night's episode, in fact, was the best one to date aired during the show's sophomore year.

In case you're in the dark, "Mad Men" follows the adventures of a Madison Avenue advertising firm during the early 1960s. It's a time of change. Some characters are still very much stuck in the 50s; others have whiffed the smell of transition.

The show airs Sunday nights at 10 p.m. on AMC. I usually TiVo it and watch when I get home from Barley's. Don't think you'll be disappointed.

The producers must have actually paid the writers. It actually has a plot -- and character development!

An afterthought:

Went out to the high school football stadium tonight. Caught the last couple of quarters of the JV game. (Halls lost to Maryville 14-0.)

Don't try to go home again, folks. Turns out Thomas Wolfe was right after all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home