Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A little more time...

Oh, lord, what a crazy life.

You're up, you're down, you're in between. You spend half your life tilting windmills, then actually act surprised when the wind doesn't blow your way. You love it, you hate it. You can't imagine being anywhere else, you'd just as soon hop a train to nowhere and never look back.

One of the things I've struggled with for years is not seeing the forest for the trees. You know what I mean. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our petty little problems that we lose perspective. Forget about life, and friends and family, what's important, and what it really means.

Talked to a guy this morning who next Tuesday will celebrate a very special 5-year anniversary. On Aug. 19, 2003, he underwent a bone marrow transplant to help battle leukemia. One hundred and one reasons exist to tell you why he should have died.

But, guess what? He didn't. And, against all odds, he's healthy, busy and enjoying life.

One of the things he told me is that after brushing up so closely with death he learned to forget all about the mortgage, trying to buy a new car, keeping up with the Joneses. It just isn't important.

I don't know what may be troubling you on this gorgeous Tuesday afternoon. But, I do know this: your life is precious. And, chances are, you're the most important person in somebody's world.

Sometimes I get caught up in my silly dreams and my crazy wishes and sometimes let the Black Dog trick me into thinking I'm traveling all alone down life's crazy road -- and that the journey isn't worth taking anymore.

But it is. Oh, my goodness, is it ever worth taking.

And, you know, this may not help much, but you take this and use it next time you need it:

If you're reading these words, chances are you've touched my life in some way. Heck, you are right now by taking time out of your busy day to spend a few minutes listening. If nothing else, just know there's one little guy in Halls who hopes you have a great day today -- and that life brings you all the happiness you deserve.

I guess what I'm saying is that, despite it all, I'm so glad I'm standing here today. Here's to dreaming big dreams, even when they don't work out. Here's to singing too much, even if nobody's listening. Here's to family, and good friends.

And here's to living life to the fullest, enjoying every minute. Because like that fella told me earlier, we're all going to leave this earth one day -- some of us have just been given a little more time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake-

What a hectic day I've had and in a moment of silence I read this blog of yours. I needed it. :) You have a gift of putting feelings into words.

Thanks for making me realize work isn't always so important!

Write on!

Haven

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home