Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Seventy-two days and counting...

Yes, folks, the countdown has begun.

Why, you may ask? Well, my first love will return to me in 72 days.

No, it's not that dark-haired little girl with the big blue eyes that broke my heart so many years ago. It's the national game, my favorite pastime, that delicious little obsession called baseball.

I know what you're thinking. "You're crazy, man. Baseball is a spring sport. Why are you talking about it at Christmastime?"

Well, friends, that's just the way I roll, as the youngsters say.

Tell you what made me think about it, in all seriousness. Monday night I opened the mailbox to find my UT baseball season ticket application.

"Yes!" I said to myself. "Feb. 22 isn't that far away. I can make it until then."

My cousin Jordan said it best at dinner the other night.

"I hate the next few months because you can't watch baseball. I mean, I love football, but it's not the same."

No, it isn't, Jordan. But, the little orange ticket application stirred the soul just a bit. Waiting 72 more days won't be so bad.

And, if it is, I'll just pull out that Ken Burns documentary and bide my time.

All I want for Christmas is three strikes, three outs and three times three innings of play.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home