Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Small gifts are treasures

Hi, gang.

Sorry it's been awhile since I've ducked in to chat. Life, both its joys and its frustrations, has gotten in the way of late.

Let me tell you about a gift I received today. The world might not consider it much. It has no monetary value. But, let me tell you, friends, it's priceless.

This week I reviewed a memoir by a well-known nationally syndicated columnist. I have admired her for years. Finally met her last fall. She is a special talent and a special person in my book.

Anyhow, she took time to send me a note to say thanks. I won't share what she said other than to say she was mighty, mighty kind. And I swear if somebody handed me a million bucks this afternoon I don't think I'd enjoy it near as much.

That's the way of it, isn't it? The small gifts are the biggest treasures.

Simple hellos. A well-timed smile. An unexpected note left on the kitchen counter that you find on a bleary-eyed Monday morning. Someone you care for deeply telling you they've taken time to read something you've written. Somebody calling up or dropping by who doesn't want anything but to share your company.

A favorite song. A summer's day.

And a simple gesture, probably didn't take five minutes, from someone who uses words like a potter uses clay.

A small gift. But what a treasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home