Tuesday, March 08, 2011

'Gatsby' house to be razed


Too bad I don't have $30 million lying around.

Read today here that Land's End, the Long Island mansion rumored to have inspired Daisy Buchanan's estate in F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby," is scheduled to be razed.

When I heard the news, I immediately thought of that big house in the 1974 film. But it was actually a set at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. Scenes at Gatsby's cinematic home, by the way, were shot at the Rosecliff and Marble House mansions in Newport, R.I.

I am an unapologetic fan of the 1974 film. It goes without saying that I love the novel.

I still think about that blinking green light on occasion. It stirs memories from long ago that are best left behind.



How would Fitzgerald put it?

"And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home