Tuesday, May 03, 2011

One more silver dollar...


You never know what you're going to find at the lake. Or, in this case, hear.

I pulled up to my little version of Walden Pond just as the sun was reaching its slumber. It had been a long, if rewarding, Saturday of work. Nothing existed on my agenda but to sit on the back porch, read a little, contemplate the universe and smoke a cigar.

Groceries safely in the icebox, gear securely stored, I eased out onto the back porch to sit and think awhile. The workweek was over. It was time to rest.

Echoing from somewhere around the cove came a song. I knew it. But I couldn't quite make it out.

Then it came.

Well, I've got to run to keep from hiding,
And I'm bound to keep on riding;
And I've got one more silver dollar,
But I'm not going to let them catch me, no...


Well, it wasn't midnight yet, but I guess somebody needed a little Allman Brothers to chase away the dark. I could hear someone singing along, very loud and very drunk.

So much for solitude. At least it was Southern rock.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home