Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Having fun in Fountain City


Well, no matter what happens from here, I've already had a great Christmas.

Here's what happened:

Last night was the annual Fountain City Lions Club Christmas party. It's one of my favorite events of the year.

Kaye Galyon cooked a fabulous feast. Yum, yum.

The Lions are a great bunch. I enjoy slapping backs and swapping stories and hearing Gib Galyon's jokes.

Lynn Bennett comes just about every year and sings Christmas carols. Like I've said in the newspaper, she can channel Mahalia Jackson when she wants. Last night, she sang one of the most soulful versions of "Sweet Little Jesus Boy" I've ever heard.

Well, the last few years they've goaded me up front to sing "Blue Christmas." I gave up my Elvis gig 15 or so years ago. But I always make this one exception as a Christmas present for Mary Sue Miller.

So, I jumped up and sang it last night. But, Lynn wanted me to do another one, so I threw in "Hound Dog." Paul Caton can play just about anything on the piano.

Then Lynn asked me to sing along with "Jingle Bells" and "Rudolph." So, I did.

On my way to sit down (I thought) I started mumbling about those old Andy Williams Christmas specials that used to come on TV. I said I guess I was a nerdy kid because I always wanted to do that -- be one of those crooners belting out the classics in a cardigan sweater.

Somewhere along the way, Paul started playing the notes to Williams' signature tune, "Moon River." I shook my head and laughed but the crowd clapped.

So, I opened my mouth and let it fly. Nobody threw anything, so I guess it turned out OK.

Hearing Lynn and Paul and spending time with the Lions have become as much a part of my Christmas season as anything else. Thanks for the early present, y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home