Thursday, April 12, 2012

The sixth sense

OK, you're going to think I'm nuts.

I don't care. Gotta tell this story.

Don't get the idea I'm a psychic aficionado or anything, but I do believe there's something to Extra Sensory Perception. ESP. See if you agree.

Submitted for your approval:

My friend Ross Southerland came to see me on my birthday. We hadn't talked about anything we'd do beyond eating at Litton's and watching some TV.



When he walked in the door I was watching my favorite movie, the 1969 John Wayne version of "True Grit." (You know, the real one.) I had also laid out a couple of "Magnum, p.i." and classic "Hawaii Five-O" DVDs to show Ross.

He looks at the TV screen, sees the Duke wearing an eye patch, looks in the corner at the stack of DVDs, and says, "You have to open this card now! I wrote this out a few days ago. I'm not kidding."



Sure enough, he had written something like "Happy birthday to Halls' version of 'True Grit'" and then made P.S. remarks about Magnum and Higgins!

We went nuts laughing. I couldn't believe it.

Fast-forward to last night. I'm up late, struggling with insomnia, when I decide to catalog some of my vinyl records. The two artists I catalogued were Elvis and the Carpenters.



When I finished, I decided to check my email. Sent 20 minutes before, while I was cataloguing the records, was an email from Ross -- ABOUT THE NIGHT ELVIS MET KAREN CARPENTER!

I was dumbfounded. Even though it was 1 a.m. I knew Ross is a night owl and would still be up. I called him.

The first words out of my mouth were, "Man, you're not going to believe this."

We went nuts laughing. Again.

Fast-forward to this morning. I'm listening to my iPod while I'm getting ready. Up pops the Carpenters' "Oldies Medley" from their 1973 "Now and Then" album.

I get to work. I tell co-worker Emily, "Hey, I went to Lost and Found Records last night and bought the rest of the Carpenters' vinyl I didn't already have," not yet mentioning my iPod experience earlier.

She says, "The album I remember most from childhood is the one with the frame cover. Didn't they do 'Fun, Fun Fun' on it?"



It was the same medley to which I'd listened this morning. Not kiddin'.

Call it coincidence. Call it the sixth sense. Call it ESP.

Whatever it is, it all happened. Just like that.

Maybe I've entered..."The Twilight Zone."

If a cigarette-holding, dressed-in-a-black-suit Rod Serling pops up and starts narrating, I'm going to the hospital...

UPDATE:After I posted this blog, I was reminded of two pieces of information that REALLY brings all this together. Duke Wayne wanted Karen Carpenter to play Mattie Ross in "True Grit." And Elvis was considered for the role that Glen Campbell ultimately played. How do you like them apples?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home