Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Nobody did it better...

RIP, Marvin Hamlisch.

Conductor. Composer. Creator of some of the best music of our lives.

"Nobody Does It Better," from the 1977 James Bond film "The Spy Who Loved Me."

"A Chorus Line."

Adapting Joplin's music for "The Sting."

(Even the score for "The Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman" 1987 reunion TV movie.)

And, of course, "The Way We Were."

Believe it or not, I have never seen that film. I've had my issue with Babs over the years, but I love the song. Particularly its melody.

Hamlisch conducted some of the most renowned orchestras in the country, including the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, of which former Tennessee football coach Johnny Majors was a longtime booster. I catch their concerts from time to time on WUOT-FM.

Hamlisch leaves behind an impressive body of work, songs we'll never forget, misty water-colored memories of the way we were.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff York said...

I too love Hamlisch and wrote about him on my blog. You must see THE WAY WE WERE. Streisand is great in it. And so is Redford. Nonetheless, I always enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Jake Mabe said...

Thank you very much, Jeff. I will check out your post, too. Marvin was marvelous!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home