Wednesday, April 17, 2013

To boldly go...

I don't know whether you can accurately call me a full-blown Trekker or not (or "Trekkie," if you must), but, yes, I am a fan of Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek."

I'm partial to the original cast, the original series and the first six "Trek" films (especially II, IV, and VI), but I also like "The Next Generation," especially its first three seasons and the whole concept of a holodeck.

I skipped "Deep Space Nine" after the first episode, only watched "Voyager" -- if you will forgive me -- because of Jeri Ryan, and missed "Enterprise" during its original run because I didn't get the channel on which it aired.

All of it is available on Netflix, so I may revisit these other three series. I don't know.

My interest in "Trek" waxes and wanes every 10 years or so. I watched "Trek" in the late 1980s in syndication because my late grandfather Wayne Wyatt loved the original series. He was a civilian pilot and loved the space program. Mom says "Star Trek" was one of the few TV programs (the other being "Gunsmoke"), he would enthusiastically watch when she was a child.

My dear friend Matt Shelton is also a fan. He and I watched at least five "Trek" films together at the theater and have screened the rest on DVD. We also, to my "can't look away from a train wreck" chagrin, watched the documentary "Trekkies." Geez...

I bought the Blu-ray "enhanced" editions of "Star Trek: TOS" as a late Christmas/birthday present. I just finished watching "Mudd's Women." Always makes me grin. I also took advantage of an Amazon Deal of the Day last week and bought the first six "Trek" movies for an amazingly low price (thanks for the heads up, Joey!) And, for the first time in at least 20 years, I bought a few of those fun "Star Trek" Pocket Books novels dirt cheap at McKay Used Books last weekend. I am saving them for a rainy day.

What appeals to me most about Roddenberry's vision is the idea that human beings on earth finally put all their differences aside to help create Starfleet and explore the universe. I don't want to touch off a discussion about a new world order or any of that crap. I just like that idea. (Did you ever see "The Day the Earth Stood Still"? Same concept, in its way, or at least the dangers of what can happen if we don't.) I also especially like the triangular bond of friendship between Kirk, Spock and Dr. McCoy. This came to fruition in several of the popular "Trek" films, most notably II, III, IV and V.

And, I am a lifelong fan and proponent of space exploration. The current state of the U.S. space program saddens me, although Curiosity's landing on Mars last year was a true thrill. Yep, I stayed up late to watch its landing.

Before the Challenger disaster in January 1986, I thought I'd live to see a human being land on the so-called Red Planet. I don't know if I will now, but I hope I do.

Meanwhile, through Roddenberry's vision at least, I can vicariously boldly go where no one has gone before.

Live long and prosper!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home