Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The music that made me, well, me


Just played a fun game on Facebook. I was asked to do the following:

"List the top 10 albums that influenced you. No judgment. No right or wrong answers."

Well, I couldn't limit myself to 10, so I picked 20, with five "Bubbling Under" as the Billboard charts used to say. I could have named 50 more.

In no particular order...

"Elvis (The '68 NBC-TV Special)" Elvis Presley
"Anniversary: 10 Years of Hits, 1972-82" George Jones
"Solace for the Lonely" Robinella
"Kind of Blue" Miles Davis
"Sinatra at the Sands" Frank Sinatra
"His Legendary Years" Bing Crosby
"Apprentice (In A Musical Workshop)" Dave Loggins
"Let It Be" The Beatles
"Singing In the Smokies Live" The Inspirations
"Running On Empty" Jackson Browne
"So Long Harry Truman" Danny O'Keefe
"Same Train, A Different Time" Merle Haggard
"Mahogany" Johnny Mathis
"Windsong" John Denver
"Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs" Marty Robbins
"By The Time I Get To Phoenix" Glen Campbell
"Swings Schubert Alley" Mel Torme
"The Gambler" Kenny Rogers
"Pet Sounds" The Beach Boys
"Barry Manilow Live" Barry Manilow

Bubbling Under:
"Songs In The Attic" Billy Joel
"The Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books" Ella Fitzgerald
"Rigoletto" Verdi (Sutherland/Pavarotti/Milnes)
"Days of Future Passed" The Moody Blues
"Symphony No. 5" Beethoven

Two I Can't Believe I Forgot:
"Nashville Skyline" Bob Dylan (I own it on vinyl, 8-track, reel-to-reel and CD)
"The Last Waltz" The Band (I own it on vinyl, 8-track, CD and DVD)

What are some of your favorites?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home