Sunday, February 16, 2014

In my life

What a strange, wonderful, horrible, amazing, awful thing is this roller coaster ride we call life.

It's easy to get cynical, but one mustn't. Oh, no. We owe that to our fellow human beings. Heck, we owe it to our sanity.

This morning on Facebook, I read some of the most terrible tripe to ever trip off anyone's tongue, the product of ignorance and itty bitty minds. One wants to make fun, but no. No time for that. What is it Jimmy Stewart says in "Harvey"?

"Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me."

Whirlwind week. Took Mom to see John Mathis in Alabama last weekend. What a guy. Seventy-eight years old. Sings super. On and on the hits came -- "Misty" and "Twelfth of Never" and "You Make Me Feel Brand New" and "Chances Are" and "Yesterday" and everything you'd expect.

Speaking of the last song, I have to give a nod to Lennon/McCartney. Everybody's caught Beatlemania again. Fiftieth anniversary of the Invasion, you know. My interest in them lies in their harmony and their songwriting. "Yesterday" was McCartney's, just like "Something" was Harrison's. Incidentally, they are the two most covered songs in music history.

But my favorite? Well, other than "Let It Be" (also mostly McCartney's, I might add), it's got to be "In My Life."

With lovers and friends, I still can recall;
Some are dead and some are living; 
In my life, I've loved them all...

Look around. You'll see it everywhere. Gold in the sun. Silver in the stars. Sweetness in smiles. Joy in the morning. Magic at midnight.

Music keeps me going these days. Music, books, ideas, Dean Martin roasts, all the important things in life.

Yesterday, buddy Spencer and I spent the afternoon trolling the record stores. I felt bad about how much I spent until I heard about Dean Harned's bar tab...

Sunday morning came on easy, "Sunday Morning" and "Tennessee This Week" and the newspapers, Dino and The Beatles on the turntable.

I'm going to go eat barbecue and pick up an album I left lying down at Lost and Found yesterday. "The Lush Years." Dedicated to Dean -- Martin or Harned.

 Life is good. Do yourself a favor. Love your friends. Love your enemies. Love your family. Love everybody. Love life.

I know I'll often stop and think about them; 
In my life, I love you more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home