Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Who cares!

So I awake this morning and stumble in front of the computer to read the daily news. Guess what the big story is?

Not Karl Rove shedding his role as Bush's brain trust. Not the fact that Scott McClellan is quitting as White House press chief.

Nope, the big news in America today is that Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise have a new baby. God knows I can rest easier now knowing the May-to-December couple are new parents.

Forgive the cynicism. On a human level, I'm glad the baby is OK. But, really, do we need to carry on like this is an A-1 story?

Cruise did me in with his rant on "Oprah" or wherever it was when he suddenly became an expert on mental health. Hate to tell ya, pal, just cause you make a few movies doesn't make you intelligent.

I will confess that I used to like Holmes. I liked her wholesome face, pretty eyes and winsome smile. Thought she was great in "Batman Begins."

But please. Marry a guy old enough to be your daddy if you want. Join a wacky religion. It's your business. But this ain't news.

Nope, I care more about the Halls couple who just had a new baby. I care about the senior down the street who is glad to have a place to play cards with his peers. I care about my family, my friends, this great community, the troops in Iraq and the folks down the street. I worry about law enforcement and tensions with Iran.

I wonder about the future and struggle to make sense of the past. I marvel at how blessed I am here in the present.

I try to treat people like I'd want to be treated and fail miserably every day. I worry about the single mom raising her kids. I sweat about the high price of gasoline.

But I just don't care much about Tom and Katie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jake Mabe said...

Haven,

So good to hear from you. Yeah, I guess I still like to rant every now and then. : Hope everything is well with you.

I couldn't agree more on the Katie/Tom thing --- who cares? At the end of the day, who really cares??!!

Thanks for the post. So good hearing from you.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home