Saturday, May 06, 2006

I'm so glad I'm standing here today

I awoke this morning to a beautiful sight.

Sunshine was streaming through my bedroom window. How beautiful it is. And how glad I am to be here to see it.

This has been a rough week. You all know about my kidney stone. I'm not certain if I still have it or not, by the way. I'm still in some pain, but I had a CT scan performed on Friday. It will tell for certain. As I said in an earlier post, I'm just thankful it is nothing more serious. So many others out there are suffering so much.

The kidney stone aside, there have been some other problems this week. They are of quite a personal nature, so you'll forgive me if I don't talk about them here. Suffice to say, though, I am just so glad I am here today to see the morning sun.

Life is a precious commodity. You can't put a price on its worth. We must remember that, no matter how bleak things may seem.

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call from a friend to remind you just how true that is.

I'm not going to be one of those self-help freaks who say "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." So I'll use an analogy from my favorite sport. If life throws you a curve ball, wait for the next pitch. It might just be a fastball left up and in the center of the plate.

No matter what you are going through in your life right now -- be it illness, emotional problems, financial problems, marital problems, occupational problems, whatever -- stop a moment and smell the proverbial roses. Think about all those people in your life who love you. Think about the family and friends who brighten up your life. Think about all the good things you have going for you.

Go outside right now, look up into the sky at the beautiful golden sun and thank God that you are here to see it. Because for what all we may not have, we all have one precious, important thing:

We have life.

Thank you for all who called, e-mailed, and sent letters of encouragement during my illness. I'm still not certain if I've passed the kidney stone or not. I'll know next week. Whatever the case, it's not life threatening.

But I've been given a new outlook on things during all this. And that does make all the difference in the world. I can't wait to get back to doin' what I love and loving what I do.

I've got a long way to go in some respects, but I took the first step toward a better tomorrow on Friday. You can't get to where you need to go until you move in the right direction.

Here's a song from Joe Cocker to think about on your way out the door. Thanks for stopping by. Remember, to somebody out there, you are the most important person in the world.

Some said I was hopeless
Mind tangled in the night
Strong hearts just keep goin'
That is why I'm still standing here today

Come together
Raise up your voices
This time my song of love and life won't go away
I'll sing forever
Here in the sunshine
I've lived to see the sun break through the storm
And I'm so glad I'm standing here today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home