Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Old friends

You know, sometimes I just stand back and am amazed.

I heard a poem last night that got me to thinking about some old friends and led to Monday night's post about them. First, the poem, then the rest of the story. (Sorry, Paul Harvey.)

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today
Tomorrow will be dying.

That comes from the pen of Robert Herrick -- 17th Century. I heard it while watching Robert Altman's fine new film "A Prairie Home Companion" yesterday. It got me to thinking about old times and old friends.

As I tend to do, I got a little depressed about it. I love people and sometimes wish I could just have everybody (yeah, that's all of ye!) over to the house for dinner and conversation out on the porch. I think about those who have gone on and wonder often how their lives have turned.

OK, back to the story. This morning I get up, and boom, here's several e-mails from friends I haven't talked with in more than 10 years.

One's in the military now. He says hello, asks about the gang, and calls me "Elvis" -- that's a surefire sign he went to Halls High School in the mid-1990s.

Anyway, it's sweet sometimes how things work out. Thanks, God.

Here's a few verses for your day. Have a good one, y'all.

Old friends pass away,
New friends appear.
It is just like the days.
An old day passes,
a new day arrives.
The important thing is to make it meaningful:
A meaningful friend -- or a meaningful day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Everything happens for a reason," is written on everything in our lives. It's a great feeling to be back in touch with you!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home