Thursday, July 26, 2007

It was a dark and stormy night...

Last night was perfect for a little mystery.

I felt awful. Some kind of stomach bug, I guess. Light rain was falling outside. The Tigers were losing to Chicago.

So I curled up in the recliner, drinking a Sprite and eating crackers to calm the tummy, and spent an hour and a half creeping down the foggy streets of Victorian London with Sherlock Holmes.

I love old movies. I especially enjoy the 1940s Holmes series with Basil Rathbone as the master sleuth and Nigel Bruce as his faithful sidekick Dr. Watson. They're fun.

Last night, Holmes was fighting his arch nemesis Professor Moriarty (George Zucco) while trying to help the beautiful Ann Brandon (Ida Lupino), who thinks she's about to be murdered.

Don't worry. It all worked out in the end.

Lupino's story is a good one, by the way. In addition to being a talented actor, she became a Hollywood director at a time when that job was dominated by men.

Lupino was working on a picture when the director fell ill. She stepped in to help, found out she had a knack for it and discovered a new career.

Anyway, Holmes and Watson kept me company on a night I didn't feel so good. Oh, and the Tigers ended up coming back to win and my stomach doesn't feel so gross today.

Not bad, huh?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home