Saturday, October 13, 2007

Lazy night in Georgia

MACON, Ga. -- Worked out along the Ocmulgee River this afternoon.

Across the way you could see the statue of this town's most famous son, the late, great Otis Redding. Try a little tenderness, baby. I'm a love man; call me a love man. Bam, ba ba ba bam bam bam!

It's nice here today. The weather topped out in the upper 70s. As I type this, dusk is falling upon this sleepy Southern town. The oppressive, muggy heat has taken a holiday.

A ton of Bibb County's best were gathered at the hip, yuppie Kroger an hour or so ago. Guess it's always a good time to go to the market.

Bridget is cooking salmon and veggies. Dewayne is upstairs watching LSU attempt to break a closing-minutes tie with upstart Kentucky. Jacob is asleep. I've been sitting in the recliner, lost in the rhythms of Nelle Harper Lee's rich Southern voice.

We stopped by the Golden Bough after lunching at Adriana's. I looked long and hard at a nice hardback copy of Agee's "A Death in the Family." But I passed. It's sitting on my bookshelf at home. I think.

Tonight we'll sit on the front porch and swing awhile. Air conditioning and the blasted picture tube have ruined that venerable Dixie tradition.

It's still alive here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Glad you were able to get away. Love the simpler times and simpler places. For me it is Southwest Florida.

I just wish I could experience it here in the suburbs of K-town.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home