Sunday, January 06, 2008

A natural high...

Going to hear RobinElla is the perfect way to end the weekend.

It's laid back, it comes on easy, but more importantly it makes you forget all about the real world for a couple more hours before that dreaded Monday morning alarm sounds. You lose yourself in the music, enjoy the company of friends, chat about everything and nothing at all.

Time stops. Life is good.

Music has a way of doing that to you, though. Especially good, toe-tappin' music that you love way down deep in your soul.

I thought about it this morning, too, as I was getting ready to the strains of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (and friends) on "Will the Circle Be Unbroken Vol. 2." In some ways I like the sequel better than the famous early '70s original.

For one thing, it contains a fantastic version of Bob Dylan's "You Ain't Going Nowhere," as well as a mighty fine little ditty called "Turn of the Century" that is threatening to become one of my all-time favorite songs. That disc is alive. They left in the little moments, when the musicians talk to each other, and it feels like an album, rather than a package deal.

I think that's probably why I enjoy RobinElla's tunes so much. Her stuff, too, feels honest, something meaningful, rather than just the same old tunes fighting vainly for the 4/4 hook and a catchy way to make a buck.

I don't know. Whatever the reasons, I just love to hear good music on a lazy Sunday night. Maybe the answer can be found in RobinElla's cover of an old Merle Haggard hit:

You put me on a natural high/And I can fly, I can fly...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home