Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Labor Day weekend show

Sunday night found me at my usual haunt, taking in Robinella's show at Barley's. I'm just not a fireworks kind of guy -- especially when it means wading in the middle of a mob.

So, I ducked into Barley's, arriving early, chatting with old friend and guitar whiz Ross Southerland over beer and pizza. Ross picked the guitar with me back during the Elvis days. He's one of the best, boy. Good songwriter, too.

Robin did her usual thing, the perfect music for the perfect Labor Day weekend show. All I needed was my Hush Puppies on, cause this sure wasn't glitter, rock and roll.

Tonight she treated us to her super sweet version of Paul Simon's "Still Crazy After All These Years." Between sets, we chatted about sad songs, and how we love them so much. She sings them better than most everybody else.

After the show, Ross and I walked down to a bookstore he wanted me to see. Apparently the proprietor has a first edition of Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" for something like $3700. Oh, well. Guess it will have to stay on the shelf.

I said thanks to Ross and headed back to Black Oak Ridge, caught in the middle of the Boomsday traffic. Hard to believe summer's over, but what a perfect way to send it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home