Sunday, May 03, 2009

Brilliant Technicolor in a monochrome world

The bombastic wonder that is local Realtor Scott Frith doesn't like for me to write about girls or baseball.

But, they are two of my favorite subjects. So I will ignore Scott for the time being and tell you a story. I will attempt to refrain from the sentimentality that is one of my sincere traits.

She was something of an anachronism, this girl with the musical talent. She spoke to me once, with her originality, with her surprising temperament, with the gentleness I saw in her eyes.

I listened to her awhile and thought about an old Roberta Flack song. When it was over I drove off into the evening and mused awhile on the fact that world seems empty and bland.

I didn't get a chance to know her, or even speak, but something stirred. I think in part it was her determined independence. And, of course, a propensity to rock her ass off.

It was a stark contrast to the homogenized way of modern life, how every interstate exit looks depressingly similar, a Wal-Mart in every town and a McDonald's on every corner.

Everybody watches "American Idol." Everybody goes to the same films, reads the same books, wears the same clothes.

But she was different, brilliant Technicolor in a monochrome world. Having seen something else, it was nauseating to return to the same ol' thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home