Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Must have been a fire somewhere...

So I'm standing in line at the Halls Branch Library yesterday when the woman walked up beside me. I knew what was going to happen before it did.

I was waiting to ask the librarians about a book that the library's website told me was ready for pickup. ("The Seven Per Cent Solution" by Nicholas Meyer, in case you're wondering.) I had it shipped in from another branch. But, it wasn't on the holds shelf.

The woman in front of me was from out of town. She was asking about the cost of purchasing a library card if you're not a Knox County resident.

"Oh, my God," said her husband when he heard the price of what is in reality a reasonable fee.

"That's actually not a bad deal," the woman said. "Do you have the form?"

Up comes the whirling dervish, arms filled with books. She didn't even look around.

Nope, she marched herself right in front of me when the other librarian arrived from the back office and asked if anybody needed any help.

I just smiled.

Wasn't in too much of a hurry. Plus, I'm used to this kind of rude and solipsistic behavior. It's sadly all but become the norm.

Anyway, it gave me a chance to chat with the librarians and muse a minute on the death of manners.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you -- the woman pulled out in front of me while leaving the parking lot, too. Talk about being on a roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home