Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So what if it breaks your heart?


Baseball pleases you, but teases you, drawing you in with its seductive rhythm, its green and blue hues, giving you hope before breaking your heart.

Such it was at Lindsey Nelson Stadium tonight as the University of Tennessee Volunteers came back from a two-run deficit in the ninth to tie Middle Tennessee State at 4, only to lose 5-4 in the 10th.

Ah, well. At least the weather was nice.

Beautiful, in fact. Spring is here, at least for now, and I've caught its fever. Go away, winter. You're not wanted anymore.

I kept score, chatting with my friend Jim in Section C. Saw cousin Seth Burnett. Jenn joined me later. Baseball is my balm. It soothes the soul.

Have I ever told you that I hate the song "Rocky Top"? I hate it. It's not our fight song anyway (see "Down the Field" for further information) and it jars the senses when followed by "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the familiar seventh-inning stretch.

The national game returns each year, like an old friend, to keep you company for six months or so. I love it. Oh, how I love it so.

So what if it breaks your heart?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home