Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rest in peace, Barnabas


It was with a heavy heart that I heard today that Jonathan Frid, the man who made Barnabas Collins famous on the '60s ABC-TV classic "Dark Shadows," passed away, ironically on Friday the 13th.

A relative said his health was declining in recent weeks and he died peacefully in his sleep.

"Dark Shadows" was my favorite show when I was a kid. The theme song is my cell phone's ringtone.

I'll write more after I have collected my thoughts. I can't help but wonder if this Tim Burton/Johnny Depp train wreck didn't hasten Mr. Frid's death.

Rest in peace, Barnabas. You'll never know how much this kid liked you and adored Dan Curtis's crazy dream.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake, you must be a little older than I thought if you were running home to watch Barnabus! I had the Dark Shadows board game - one of those many collectibles I wish I had saved. My father took me and my friend to see the Dark Shadows movie in the 70's (House of Dark Shadows, I think). I remember him telling my mother how bloody it was. Of course, my friend and I loved every minute of it. Thanks again for the memories!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Jake Mabe said...

No, I'm about as old as you think I am. I caught "Dark Shadows" in re-runs probably about 15 years or so after it went off the air. I'd run home from school, just like people did during the original run, to watch it. I was obsessed with it. So funny you mentioned "House of Dark Shadows." My wife and I watched that movie (I still have a VHS copy; it's never been released on DVD) the night I heard Jon Frid died. "Dark Shadows" was a great and original show for its time.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you probably know this, but, Lara Parker is from Knoxville. Not sure how many years she lived here.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Jake Mabe said...

Yes, her real name was Mary Rickey (I think I have that spelled correctly). Like you, I have no idea how long she lived here.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home