Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Slow dance more

All my life I've managed to stumble into magical moments. Usually in spite of myself.

A song playing by chance on the radio in a study hall class in the spring of 1992 changed my life forever. An unexpected email led to my current occupation. My first guitar lesson was taught by a singer/songwriter whom I adore as both a musician and as a human being. Two of my favorite writers are personal friends. I met the love of my life through a series of circumstances that wouldn't even be believable as a situation comedy.

Is this a great life or what?

Look, we all have ups and downs. I've seen the deep dark valleys and the magical majestic mountaintops. You learn, in time, that both keep you grounded.

Somebody told me a long time ago if you get a job doing something you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Truer words have never been spoken.

Oh, I have those days when I don't want to creep too far past the couch. But they are few and far between.

Somewhere along the way I learned to laugh. It keeps you from crying. When all else fails I sing a song. Music is marvelous medicine.

Plus, life is WAY too short to take it -- or yourself -- too seriously.

If I've learned anything in these 30-some years, it's this, with apologies to the songwriter:

Love your neighbor as yourself
Don't use money to measure wealth
Trust in God, but lock your door
Buy low, sell high
And slow dance more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home