Monday, August 13, 2012

From "M*A*S*H" to trash

Tonight, Jenn flipped on the tube around 9 o'clock.

CBS, the once and proud Tiffany Network, was airing one of the worst excuses for a sitcom I have ever seen, some kind of nonsense called "Two Broke Girls."

The jokes, if you could call them that, were sexual in nature, sophomoric, unfunny, pathetic. I've heard simians speak with better clarity.

The most depressing part of it all was the realization that this lowest-common-denominator filth is going to air in the time slot once held by "M*A*S*H."

Ah, now there was a television series. Serious, hilarious, sobering, healing. I have said it before and I will say it again. "M*A*S*H" made me a better human being. How many shows can you say that about?

I'm not a prude when it comes to this kind of thing. "The Big Bang Theory," network television's best series at the moment, uses sexual humor quite well. "Two Broke Girls" isn't even a bad joke.

I have to be careful when I am tempted to give in to these "the world is going to hell" rants. Television has been full of garbage since its golden years. ("My Mother the Car" anyone?)

But, for the life of me, I'll never figure out how, in just 30 short years, we've gone from "M*A*S*H" to trash.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger tarbaby3 said...

I just came across your blog this morning as I was looking for the lyrics to a song I heard the Bibletones sing back in the 80s, "Thanks for Loving Me". I started reading some of your other posts and came across this one. I totally agree with you about M*A*S*H being one of the greatest shows on television. When I was a kid, I hated to watch M*A*S*H with my parents, not understanding why they loved it so. It was probably because that as a child, I did not understand the jokes, etc. Now, I love it and have probably watched every episode at least twice. M*A*S*H and The Andy Griffith Show are my two all time favorite television shows.

10:32 AM  
Blogger tarbaby3 said...

I totally agree with you about M*A*S*H to trash. My husband and I love to watch M*A*S*H reruns and The Andy Griffith Show. They are classics and nothing since compares.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home