Thursday, March 07, 2013

RCA Victor vinyl, The Song is You

Relaxing with some classic vinyl tonight.

The Dorsey/Sinatra RCA Victor sessions. All 83 original recordings, on glorious vinyl, the way it was meant to be.

Like a friend says, "Wax is where it's at!"

Yes, yes, I recommend the excellent 1994 digitally-remastered CD box set Tommy Dorsey/Frank Sinatra, "The Song Is You." Can't beat it, especially for the live disc. Incredible. Awesome. It's worth the price alone just for the liner notes by Will Friedwald.

But, let's face it. These songs were meant to be heard on vinyl, pops, cracks and all. It's a better sound. Not as compressed as the "crisp but flat" compact disc.

This is an import from 1972. The vinyl looks like it was just pressed. Talk about pristine. It also includes a 12-page box set. Can't beat it.

I listened to a favorite earlier, "Be Careful, It's My Heart," first made popular by Bing Crosby in the film "Holiday Inn."

Man, this was music.

Just about everybody loves either Sinatra's Capitol years or the ring-a-ding-ding Reprise era. I do, too, but I have a soft spot for his work with Dorsey, because I like Big Bands, as well as his Columbia period, because this was when he was a crooner, smooth as silk, the Bobby soxer's delight. This is before booze and Ava and cigarettes roughed up his voice. I'm not saying it's better, I'm just saying it swings. Add Dorsey and the orchestra and, man, you've got something.

Well, I'm going to peruse the booklet and hit the hay. We put the paper to bed tomorrow.

Good night, and good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home