Sunday, March 16, 2014

Laughing through the pain

Couldn't let the day go by without wishing a happy birthday to a comedic genius, an underrated talent in this country, a true philanthropist with a heart of gold, and one hell of a funny man, Mr. Jerry Lewis.

In fact, if I can get rid of this migraine, I'm going to watch "The Nutty Professor" at some point today. It will help me laugh through the pain.

I don't know why Jer hasn't received his just due in the United States. Part of it may be that critics see a one-dimensional character. If so, they are myopic. The French love him. They know good cinema when they see it. I am glad to see that he's being honored at this year's TCM Film Festival in L.A.

Growing up, I never did like Jerry Lewis as much as I liked Dean Martin. That's still the truth today. But it has nothing to do with talent. I wanted to be Dino. Heck, let me take that out of the past tense. I still want to be Dino.

But Jerry was hilarious. His Buddy Love persona in "The Nutty Professor" sends me into hysterics. Every. Single. Time.

And you know about the great work he did for so many years with the Muscular Dystrophy Association. His telethons were a Labor Day staple on my TV set if I weren't on vacation. Usually, that's where all my favorite singers and personalities would appear.

I'll never forget one of Sammy Davis Jr.'s last appearances. It's my recollection that he sang "Mr. Bojangles," but you know memory. It's notoriously unreliable.

I still can't believe he was so unceremoniously dumped by the MDA. They should be ashamed. Ashamed, I tell ya!

Well, I have to make this one short, y'all. I have a migraine -- a big one. Have been lying in the dark since yesterday about 8 p.m. I don't mind tell you that these migraines are starting to get to me. It's tough y'all, although, again, I'm glad it isn't terminal. So many have it so much worse than I.

Here's to all of my loved ones who made the 2014 edition of my birthday extra special this year -- right when I needed it.

I love you all.

See you tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home