Tuesday, May 09, 2006

More than just a name

Got a new assignment at work this week.

In addition to my regular writing and editing duties, I'm now typing in obituaries. I complained at first. Tried to give up editing sports. Can't do it. Too short staffed.

It's fine. I need to stay as busy as I can right now.

But what started out as another assignment became something else. Each one of these names is a life. Somebody's mother. Somebody's child. Somebody's sweetheart. Somebody's friend.

You can't help but think about who they must have been, how their lives affected others, what their thoughts were and how they lived.

One was a young school employee with several kids. Another was a longtime Halls veterinarian. Here's a noted economist. There's a World War II veteran.

Here's a newborn who lived just a few days. Oh, how the parents must be grieving.

I know a little about what that's like. I was a twin. My sister only lived a few days short of a month. I was too young, of course, to be aware then. But I know my parents still think of it, as do I from time to time, wondering about the life that might have been.

If I had time, I'd like to write stories about each name on this list. Every life, you see, tells a story. Sometimes it's a remarkable tale. Other times it's just about a person who got up every day, raised a family and lived life. Both are worth remembering.

As it is, I can only devote a few sentences. It's not enough, but it's the best we can do.

Still, it makes you think. These people are so much more than just a name. So much more than a line or two in the newspaper.

Sobering thoughts on a Tuesday afternoon in Halls.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed your "musings," but the last 2 have been especially meaningful. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and feelings the way you do; it is a lost art it seems sometimes.

God bless.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home