Thursday, March 22, 2007

Forever

Tennyson once said something about a young man's thoughts turning to love this time of year.

I don't buy that.

To prove the point, forgive me while I quote John Denver. Can't help it. This beautiful spring evening made me think of a line of his I like very much.

"If I had a day that I could give you. I'd give to you a day just like today..."

Driving down Emory Road this afternoon, I watched the sun set just over toward Karns somewhere. Deep red was turning into light pink. God, it was beautiful.

I feel more like myself in the spring. Sure, baseball is part of it. I won't lie.

But it's more than that. It's the warm afternoons, the ones that make you wish you could get lost at the lake. It's the sky, blue as the ocean, begging you to come take a swim.

It's the way the sun rises in the morning just before the world stirs. It's warm days and cool nights.

And, yep, it's 6-4-3, double play ends the inning, Red Devils lead 4-2.

Don't let it go away. Let's just skip the dog days of summer this year. And fall. And certainly winter.

Let's stay here in an East Tennessee spring for about a year or so. Let the days be just like today. Let baseball always end just like it did Monday night. Let spring last forever.

Don't wake me till it's over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home