Friday, June 01, 2007

Three cheers for Monica (and India)

Update (10:26 p.m.): Thunderstorms have delayed tonight's softball action from Oklahoma City. UT and Arizona's game will get underway at approximately midnight (Eastern), televised nationally on ESPN 2.

Be near your TV tonight at 9:30 p.m. Don't argue, just do it.


If you want to see pitching as an art form, skip the Red Sox/Yankees game tonight. The art will be in Oklahoma City.


Tennessee's softball team advanced in the national championship tournament yesterday after beating Texas A&M 2-0. Senior pitcher Monica Abbott threw a no-hitter, a true thing of beauty after a rough first inning. She fanned 16 Aggies to set the NCAA single season record (665).


Monica is my hero.


But wait. It's gets better. The winning run was scored by an injured senior with a torn ACL. Didn't matter, though. India Chiles did her job anyway.


Tonight's game will air nationally on ESPN 2 at 9:30 (EDT). Read News Sentinel sportswriter Mike Griffith's account of last night's win here.


Health update: I've passed part of one of the remaining kidney stones. Now have just one (I think) to go. Wish me luck that I can do this on my own and won't need further surgery. It hurts, but I'm makin' it.


Thanks to all of you for the calls, e-mails and well wishes. Here's hoping this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Hornback said...

Good luck, buddy.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Brian Hornback said...

When I see this title, I think of the other Monica. I hate it for Monica Abbott.

I received the following email this week.

"This week we celebrate a special birthday. Monica Lewinsky turned 31. Can you believe it? It seems like only yesterday she was crawling around the White House on her hands and knees, and putting everything in her mouth. They grow up so fast, don't they?"

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home